Project Manager: Anzie Gilmore
The Moody Center for the Arts, opened in February 2017, has been hailed as one of Rice's boldest commitments to the arts. The $30 million, 50,000-square-foot interdisciplinary arts facility houses a diverse collection of instructional, production, performance and exhibition spaces. The Moody Center for the Arts is pending LEED certification, dedicated to the advancement of trans-disciplinary collaboration between the arts, sciences and humanities. Some of the green features include:
- 34% reduction in water use and 25% reduction in energy consumption.
- High efficiency LED lighting.
- Highly reflective roof, which reduces the “Heat Island Effect” and the heat gain in the building.
- 70% of the electricity used is received from renewable sources in Texas.
- Use of materials including carpet, paint, and glues that minimize the release of irritating chemicals and contribute to healthy indoor air quality.
- Green cleaning and single stream recycling programs.
- Use of recycled materials in the building’s construction.
- Environmentally-themed art works.