Barbara and David Gibbs Recreation and Wellness Center, ranked in the top 20 most impressive college gyms and recreation centers after its opening in 2009. This state of the art facility contains separate cardio and weight rooms, basketball courts, a dance studio, 2 swimming pools, racquetball courts, and an Outdoor Adventure Center. Some of its green aspects include:
- Raising the gymnasium spaces to the second floor in order to reduce the building’s carbon footprint.
- A natural ventilation systems meets the recommendations set forth in the CIBSE Applications Manual.
- Reduced ozone depletion and minimized direct contributions to global warming.
- Limited use of potable water and other natural water resources during construction.
- Long, paneled windows spanning two floors in order to allow increased sunlight entrance and minimal extra lighting throughout the day.
- Implementation of two bike rack areas, one in front of the Recreation Center and one on the side.
- Environmentally friendly shower and changing facilities.
- Reduced heat islands to minimize impact of building on surroundings.